Sunday, August 14, 2011

Musovic Chooses Fordham

The Rivertowns Patch (www.rivertownspatch.com)informed you about two-sport standout Nihad Musovic last week.

The 6-foot-2, 185-pound sharpshooting combo guard has arrived at a decision.

Musovic will play for coach Tom Pecora at Fordham University. The recent Fordham Prep graduate and former Hastings St. Matthews's CYO centerpiece chose Fordham due to its proximity to his Yonkers home and his life-long desire to play Division-I ball. His insatiable thirst for high-level competition has been quenched, as he's now hell-bent on proving himself on a big stage.

Musovic's relationship with Pecora, the head honcho at Hofstra before a seemingly endless 2010 coaching carousal landed him at Fordham, helped solidify his decision to become a Ram.

"I'm looking forward to playing for Coach Pecora, he's a really good coach," said Musovic, who overcame a ruptured spleen that took a grueling six months to recover from.

"I think the best part of (the decision to attend Fordham) is that I'm going to a school that I loved and I'm getting the opportunity to play. I have to give a shoutout to (Rising Stars AAU coach) Danny Gimpel for helping me throughout the recruiting process."

Despite losing weight and muscle mass following his injury, Musovic was able to get back into prime form for the summer AAU circuit. He would hurdle adverse obstacles, most notably being severely overlooked in the recruiting process. Musovic was treated like a non-liberal in some Westchester News Office...He went unsung, unnoticed and under-appreciated for his relentless work.

A handful of Division-II and Division-III schools expressed considerable interest in the prospect. Musovic, however, wanted to use every ounce of his basketball acumen and competitive juices at the Division-I level. That was the goal from the jump-start.

Consider it accomplished.

Musovic has silenced many detractors along the way. Many who doubted the youngin could play in the A-10 conference are now asking for the 17-year-old's forgiveness. Let's hope they are now re-thinking their oft-hating ways.

"Everyone always told me that I couldn't make it to the D-1 level and I heard it so much I almost started to believe it," said Musovic, who averaged 9.5 points on one of the best teams in Fordham Prep history his senior season.

"I just kept playing and hoping for something to fall into the right place for me. A ton of people said I didn't have the broad set of basketball skills to make it to Division-I but I kept working at my weaknesses and soon made them my strengths."

The detractors said he was too one-dimensional. They pegged him as strictly a shooter who couldn't score in traffic or create his own shot. They said he was too small. They said he wasn't athletic enough. They said he couldn't thrive in a run-and-gun style offense.

Musovic has heard it all. He consciously looked the other way, paying the self-proclaimed 'basketball gurus' no mind. The outspoken doubters are nowhere to be seen now.

Now Musovic is laughing his way to the Bronx, ready to get started on a four-year career at Fordham.